Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Compound by S.A. Bodeen

Warning: May contain spoilers!


"Eli and his family have lived in the underground Compound for six years. The world they knew is gone, and they've become accustomed to their new life. Accustomed, but not happy.
For Eli, no amount of luxury can stifle the dull routine of living in the same place. with only his two sisters, only his father and mother, doing the same thing day after day after day.
As problems with their carefully planned existence threaten to destroy their sanctuary - and their sanity - Eli can't help but wonder if he's rather take his chances outside.
Eli's father built the Compound to keep them safe. But are they safe
- or sorry?"



    After seeing this at a bookstore a few times and thinking it looked interesting, I finally decided to by this book to see what the post-apocalyptic-ness of it would be like. Having already read two other books set in a post-apocalyptic universe, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins and The Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld, I wasn't really sure about reading this book, since it most likely wouldn't compare to the in terms of greatness. However, the book soon proved me wrong as it dragged me right in to the interesting plot.

    All of the characters in this book were extremely well-written, from distant Lexie and childish Terese, to crazy Rex, and they made it all the more enjoyable. I really enjoyed the metamorphosis of Eli's character, though, as he moved from a spoiled brat into a decent person, and as he tried to find a way out of the Compound.

    Another thing that really kept me interested about this book was the idea of 'how far will you go to survive'. Some of the stuff that they had done, such as bringing livestock with the into the Compound was okay with me, but the idea of the Supplements both grossed me out and fascinated me at the same time.

    I loved the fact that this book was so seamless, and how meticulous the details in the book were. The clue hunt at the end of the book kept me wanting to read as Eli followed the clues to his siblings, and as a family they figured out how to escape.

    I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is willing to try it, and trust me, you won't be disappointed!

    Have a good week!

       -Athena

No comments:

Post a Comment